Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Traveling Japan, Kuester-style: Part 2

Food: This has been my favorite part so far. Essentially, when I'm with someone, I'll go to eat out because the variety and goodness of food is enough to justify it. Aside from that, I try to get the other 90% of my meals from the supermarket. Thankfully since I'm moving so much, I only get hungry maybe once or twice a day. Some of the standard options are bread with meat, chocolate cream, or maybe some sort of jam on it. Unfortunately, the Japanese haven't really bothered to learn the fine art of bread-making, so most is just square-shaped white bread. The snacks (read: chip-like salty things that crunch) are in far greater variety in the states, and very very good, though I haven't discovered any solid substitute for kettle chips or doritos yet. Other food things I've discovered are packets of curry that you heat in boiling water to put on rice and plain bowls of rice in a 3-pack. Combined together they are delicious and filling, though cold. The oter item I just discovered is end-of-day bento boxes. There's nothing wring with them, but they make for a filling meal at half-price to make room for new ones the next day. Definitely more to come on this topic!   

No comments:

Post a Comment